If you’re suffering from sciatica in Spartanburg, SC, let Dr. Shaneen Brown of Southern Palms Chiropractic and Wellness put her caring hands to work to help you find relief.
What Is Sciatica?
The sciatic nerve is a large nerve that runs along the lower back, the hips and buttocks, and through both legs. At times, something can put pressure on this nerve, leading to pain and discomfort. This is referred to as sciatica. Some of the signs of this condition include the following:
- Pain, numbness, or weakness in the lower back, buttocks, or running down one side of the body
- Difficulty standing up
- Pain presents itself or worsens as you sit, stand, bend, lie down, cough, or sneeze
- Feeling of pins and needles in the legs or feet
- Inability to control your bladder or bowels
- Symptoms often present themselves only on one side of the body.
Causes of Sciatica
Sciatica is the symptom of an underlying condition, not a condition itself. It can be caused by a variety of things, which can include:
- Obesity and pregnancy, as the extra weight can increase pressure on the nerve
- Injuries, such as those due to improper lifting techniques
- Muscle spasms or inflammation
- Herniated discs
- Medical conditions, such as degenerative disc disease, lumbar spinal stenosis, and sacroiliac joint dysfunction
How Can It Be Treated?
Treatment for sciatica will depend on the cause and symptoms of your condition. Once an evaluation is complete, Dr. Brown will devise a treatment plan that can include any of the following or more, if necessary, depending on your needs.
- Chiropractic adjustments: Sciatica often occurs when there is a bulging or herniated disc, which spills out and puts pressure on the sciatic nerve. Through chiropractic adjustments, the disc can retreat to its natural position, relieving pressure from the nerve.
- Massage therapy: Massage therapy is extremely effective at loosening tightened muscles that may be putting pressure on the nerve. Additionally, it increases blood flow to the area, helping the body to heal naturally.
- TENS unit therapy: TENS units can help relieve pain from sciatica by introducing small, electrical pulses to the target area. These pulses help the muscles to relax and induce the body to produce natural pain killers, otherwise known as endorphins. It can also help block pain signals.
- Therapeutic exercise: A combination of stretches and exercise can help relieve pressure from your sciatic nerve, improve functionality, and provide pain relief.
Dr. Brown also provides personal injury and pregnancy chiropractic care for safe, effective pain relief.
Don’t let sciatica put your life on hold. Schedule an appointment with Dr. Brown of Southern Palms Chiropractic and Wellness in Spartanburg, SC by calling (864) 256-1437.